Lewisham Council parks team and their parks and open spaces contractor Glendale are trialling a series of approaches to weed control to avoid use of herbicide on our streets and open green spaces. Lewisham Parks and open spaces Friends Groups have been invited to observe weed removal via hot foam and flame gun. The photos below show weed removal at Mountsfield Park by use of a flame gun.
Your Parks – click an image for slideshow, escape to come back to page.
- Grow Back Greener Fund August 26, 2020From the Mayor of London website Grow Back Greener Fund Applications are now open for the Mayor’s Grow Back Greener Fund. Apply for a grant COVID-19 has demonstrated just how important our city’s amazing green spaces are for Londoners’ quality of life. But we also saw that parts of London were unable to access these benefits … Continue reading Grow Back Gree […]Jess kyle
- Your April – June 2020 sightings and Kenneth White Grant August 6, 2020As you know there were no events or volunteering in the past few months so this update will be slightly different from the usual email you receive from us. Thank you to everyone who sent us their sightings and experiences during lockdown. It was really great to hear that you all managed to keep in … Continue reading Your April – June 2020 sightings and Kenne […]Jess kyle
- Beckenham Place Park Events July 6, 2020Ordinarily, Beckenham Place Park would have been gearing up to our annual Flower show (which was due to take place on 19th July this year). And about 50 lovely volunteers would have been preparing to take on a variety of roles on the busy day and in the days leading up to it. But of … Continue reading Beckenham Place Park EventsJess kyle
- Educational Resources June 19, 2020While we are unable to run any facilitated educational resource we are taking the time to update all of our educational resources. These can all be downloaded for free and either used at home (both in an outdoors) and some cab be in your local park – if it is safe to do so. … Continue reading Educational ResourcesJess kyle
- Online Event Friday 19 June at 2pm – Swift talk and Q&A June 18, 2020Dear Swift Friends & Colleagues, here is a note from Emma Matthars about a Swift talk being organised on line by the Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust : She says: “I wanted to let you know about an upcoming online event we have planned for Friday 19th June. Jenny Rawson, our Senior Reserves Officer will … Continue reading Online Event Friday 19 June at […]Jess kyle
- The Tweed Invasives Project May 22, 2020For those of you who have spent time with me and other volunteer groups in activities such as The 3 Rivers Clean Up clearing himalayan balsam know what great fun it is. You may wonder, however if it is all worthwhile? Of course we know it is because in Lewisham we have seen a huge reduction … Continue reading The Tweed Invasives ProjectJess kyle
- COVID-19 LATEST – Nature’s Gym – an update May 11, 2020Dear Nature’s Gym volunteers! How are you all? I hope you are all doing well during this difficult period and that you are finding ways to stay healthy and well? It has now been 7 weeks since we had to cancel Nature’s Gym and my Thursdays feel very different without it. We still don’t have … Continue reading COVID-19 LATEST – Nature’s Gym – an update […]Jess kyle
- A Virtual tour of Lewisham’s Rivers April 27, 2020There are a lot of wonderful volunteers out there who help keep our rivers clean, from the Friends of the River Pool to Nature’s Gym to Thames21. Part of the reason our rivers are so lovely, is down to this dedicated bunch of people. This is usually the time of year when we, along with … Continue reading A Virtual tour of Lewisham’s RiversJess kyle
- Tree Chalk Walks in Lewisham April 24, 2020In a recent interview on BBC 1 Breakfast a resident of Walthamstow, Rachel Summers, talked about how she has been chalking the names of trees and plants on the pavement along with a little description to help make people’s daily exercise a little bit more interesting. Thanks to a local resident and Planning Tree Officer … Continue reading Tree Chalk Walks in […]Jess kyle
- Eastern side of Beckenham Place Park (the Common and Summerhouse Fields) March 30, 2020Lewisham Council is pleased to be able to start some early engagement with local residents and the wider community about potential changes to the eastern side of Beckenham Place Park (the Common and Summerhouse Fields). This is a great opportunity for residents and the community to contribute to the shaping of this local asset. The … Continue reading Eastern […]Jess kyle
- Grow Back Greener Fund August 26, 2020