There used to be several windmills on the Heath – John Roque’s map of 1745 seemed showed a couple. There were also a pair that stood on what is now Talbot Place, which were built in the 1770s (1). There is a hint to their location in the name of the house that is now on their site – Mill House.
Given the elevated position of the Heath, it is perhaps not surprising to find windmills. Rhind suggests that their exact location was probably predicated on the semi-industrial use of the land adjoining it – there was a large sand pit, which was eventually to become Blackheath Vale (2).
The windmills lasted about 60 years on the site, they were probably demolished in the late 1830s and the land was enclosed amidst wider concerns of enclosure and usage of land on the Heath. Rhind notes that at the time that
View original post 397 more words